[Foundation-l] Creative Commons CC-BY-SA Draft Statement of Intent

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 07:28:23 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 8:42 AM, SlimVirgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Sorry to be dense, but could someone explain the significance of this?
>  What does the new development allow or prevent that wasn't allowed or
>  prevented before?

CC licenses are well known by gray-zone effects of their conditions:
something is possible or not according to a particular interpretation.
While interpretations are more strict according to the continental law
system, according to the Anglo-Saxon law system things are much more
extensible. And we are using the second because of the place where
servers and WMF are based.

Usually, licensing conditions (whatever, not only share-alike) are
interpreted only in the sense of derivative works of the same type.
Which implies that conditions of usage are much PD-like (actually,
BY-like) than anything else (SA, NC or ND).

Addressing those problems is a good thing. However, I would like to
hear independent interpretations of the new conditions, too (like, for
example, MIT interpretation is).