[Foundation-l] VC - alternative resolution

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 11:35:29 UTC 2008

Hoi,
The short answer is you are. The longer answer is that things are about
priorities. For me language and localisation is a priority. For you the
introduction of scientists is a priority. For others it is responding to
mail. Both you and me do what we can and we might be able to do more
effectively. The operative word is DO. We DO what we can.

When you think SUL has been implemented, you are largely right and largely
wrong because it has only been implemented for admins. For me it is a
godsend. I have been active on several new projects since and it has saved
me a lot of time. For others it has not been implemented and one of the
reasons is that there is no group of people willing or able to get involved
into the enormous amount of admin that will be the result. If anything there
is a need for people to DO things. When a council will take responisibility
and coordinate the needs for such activities, it will be a good thing. When
the council tells others what to do it will be an unmitigated disaster.

When you observe that nobody is responsible, you are right up to a point.
The board is primarily involved in overseeing the WMF ORGANISATION. It has
always done a minimal job interfering in the projects. If a council is to do
what needs doing for the projects, absolutely, great idea, when will you
start. When the council coordinates the needs of the projects with the
organisation, with the board it will be good. The fun thing is, it does not
need any of the formal powers and capacitites of the board to do that. It
only needs to DO this thing in a credible way.

We do not need one massive policy wonk thingie. We need people collaborating
on issues, taking care of what is seen as relevant / an issue. When they do
a good job we should celebrate their work. When we are not sure we can ask
them what they are doing.  We do need something like a council. We do need
to deal with SUL with NPOV in all Wikipedias. We need to deal with legal
issues in all projects. The only way in which it can be done is by having a
system whereby projects are autonomous within certain bounds and where we
have a system of checks and balances that ensures that they are as free as
they can possibly be within the confines of their project while maintaining
the essence and the legalities that have to be maintained on an
organisational level.

To answer your last question. YES all WMF projects have something more in
common. They are all to make information / knowledge available to all the
people of the world.

Thanks,
     GerardM