[Foundation-l] VC - alternative resolution

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 05:19:40 UTC 2008

On 4/4/08, effe iets anders <effeietsanders at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Nathan, all,
>
> I appreciate your efforts, and thank you for thinking with us. Although I'd
> like to leave it up to the Board what they vote on, I have to say I have
> some thoughts on this version.
>
> As I tried to explain in my recap email, I think that it would actually be
> good to make a clear statement that we create a VC (but not defined yet, you
> could say we "reserve the seat") because that seems to be the general
> consensus. However, at the same time, we create a provisional council, which
> will give advice on the details.

I definitely agree with this point. On the theory promulgated by Admiral Grace
Hopper that it is easier to gain forgiveness than it is to gain
permission, it were
best that the establishing were done right away, rather than having to
bring it up
another time later on.

I think instead of removing the part about establishing the institution of the
council (by whatever name - personally I don't like "Volunteer Council", but
that is by the by, and a matter for the board), a more useful thing would be
to add a method for the dissolution of the Council, should it not turn out to
be useful in the end.

The actual language need not be more formal or complicated than something
like inserting the following phrase somewhere where it is appropriate:

"The Council shall serve at the pleasure of the Board of Trustees, until
such time as by a vote of [insert voting threshold here] of serving Trustees
it is relinquished of its duties, and either permanently dissolved or the
Board shall formally decide replacing it with new Council by a method
of its choice."

This would also serve as providing the mechanism for setting up
elections for the council, should such a method be deemed useful.

This is purely my personal suggestion for the Board to ponder,
before it finalizes the language of its resolution...