[Foundation-l] Provisional Volunteer Council - proposal sent to the Board

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 23:31:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sorry Andrew, but you are completely wrong.

I may certainly be wrong about some things, but "completely wrong"
seems like a bit of an exaggeration to me. I guess I don't see as many
huge problems with the resolution as you see, and I'm not prepared to
completely sideline something so important as the volunteer council
because of word choice nit-pickery.

If we change point (2) to say:
Without restricting the generality of this provision the purposes
of the Volunteer Council may include:

(notice the change of the word "shall" to "may"), then all of the
problems that you've mentioned basically disappear. Of course, we
could go a step further and completely erase point 2.3.

>  For instance - the resolution
>  creates the Volunteer Council, not a Provisional Volunteer Council. Doesn't
>  that strike you as something that should be corrected?

No. The intention is to create a volunteer council. The path to that
is by creating an exploratory provisional council. If you notice, the
list of names in this proposal are members to be appointed to a newly
created PVC, not a VC. The PVC is not an end in itself, but is a step
taken in the eventual, but inevitable creation of the VC. If you want
to change the wording to make this more clear, that would be easy to
do without changing the obviously intended meaning of it.

--Andrew Whitworth