[Foundation-l] A question for the Wikimania jury

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Wed Apr 2 22:42:46 UTC 2008

Mark Ryan wrote:
> I have no problem with the decision of the jury to award Wikimania to
> Buenos Ares. I just hope that people don't make the ridiculous
> assumption that South America is close to Australia and NZ, when in
> fact they are pretty much on opposite sides of the globe.

Australia was much closer to Taipei than to any other Wikimania location
yet, but at least the Aussies will not be disadvantaged against those
from other continents when traveling to Argentina!

For the record, here are some approximate distances to Buenos Aires from
various cities:

	New York
		8,500 km

	San Francisco
		10,400 km
	Frankfurt
		11,450 km
	Alexandria
		11,750 km
	Sydney
		11,800 km

	Taipei
		18,950 km

The distance from Australia's relatively populous east cost is about the
same as the distance from Europe or the US west coast. The US east coast
is a bit closer, and east Asia is quite a bit further.

By comparison, Sydney is the closest of any of those cities to Taipei:

	Sydney
		6,750 km
	Alexandria
		8,800 km

	Frankfurt
		9,450 km
	San Francisco
		10,400 km
	New York
		12,550 km

	Buenos Aires
		18,950 km

while Frankfurt was close for some but just as inconvenient for plenty:

	Alexandria
		2,750 km
	New York
		6,200 km