[Foundation-l] Allow new wikis in extinct languages?

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 21:05:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
> New York has less of a "dialect" than what is known in linguistics as
>  a regional variety. Dialects differ from each other more than New York
>  English does from most other American English varieties.

I would say there's not a clearing dividing line, but anyway it's not
this particular case that matters.

Surely the general point stands, no?  That a dialect or language can
be notable without having a notable modern written tradition.  And
that this is a useful way of distinguishing "historical" languages
that merit a Wikipedia, and those that don't.

(I actually don't think we should be so strict on languages that -do
have- native speakers, though.)

Thanks,
Richard