[Foundation-l] Provisional Volunteer Council - proposal sent to the Board

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 19:52:51 UTC 2008

The name is irrelevant, that is right - the role is important, and
particularly
whether it conflicts or duplicates the role of the Board. I'm not sure I
understand what problem this is intended to solve - a group of people on
a closed list/in private deliberations, making decisions on behalf of the
community they were selected to represent. That, to me, sounds like the
Board of Trustees we currently have. Unless there is some serious problem
with the composition of the current board, why reinvent it with a new name
and similar functions? Its a huge headache and will draw roughly the same
complaints we have now. Do you want the Board to take on a new role?
Have it expanded, with a committee to address the issues you think need
addressing? Creating a redundant body, that in some ways duplicates the
Board and sets up a tension between them... Seems like a way to lose any
future steps in decades of bureaucratic infighting.

Nathan