[Foundation-l] Allow new wikis in extinct languages?

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 18:42:37 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
>  If I were not to believe in the usefulness of the Wiki model, I would not
>  invest so much in it. There is however a limit to its usefulness. For one
>  when we publish a text, we indicate in the meta data for that text that it
>  is in a specific linguistic entity. This list is based on standards, these
>  standards are shared and as a consequence things are inferred from the
>  correct usage of these standards. It is perfectly possible to write a
>  featured article on "Westfries". Westfries is a dialect of the Dutch
>  language. Writing a fa about this does not make for a standard that is
>  recognised by others.

A featured article on a dialect is quite different from a featured
article on a dialect's literature.  For example, my native dialect is
[[New York dialect]], also known as "Brooklynese".  This dialect is
spoken by millions of people in the New York metropolitan area.  And,
although the dialect appears sometimes in fiction (usually spoken by
gangsters!) to add "local color", it is clearly not a standard
literary language of any kind.  [[New York dialect literature]] would
not be notable.

I don't know the case with "Westfries"; maybe it is similar, maybe it
is different.

Anyway, my proposal is directly about "historical" languages that
still have active literatures; the scope is important because this is
a category that the ISO chooses not to assess.

OK, so the only remaining issue then, appears to be the metadata codes.

Let me just say that I think the metadata issue should be distinctly
secondary, and that our -priority- should be recognizing the full
diversity of contemporary human expression.  We can file it under our
own code for the time being, and we could easily move it if the ISO
ever chooses to change their procedures on this, in say 10 years.

Thanks,
Pharos