[Foundation-l] Allow new wikis in extinct languages?

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 18:00:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Ziko van Dijk <zvandijk at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Maybe we should drop the "computer-world-based" criteria like the ISO-code
>  and introduce more "real-life" criteria when accepting a new language ("new"
>  even if ancient):
>  *The language is taught at a university
>  *There is a journal or newspaper in or about that language
>  *20 or more speakers or scholars (with a certificate or some prove that they
>  can at least write in that language) endorse the project

I would support loosening of "computer-world-based" criteria; all we
should really need to do is demonstrate that modern use of the
languages is supported by -scholars- of the "historical" language or
notable -institutions- (like the Vatican for Latin).

But I understand the reason why the subcommittee likes
"computer-world-based" criteria (it spares them a huge amount of
pointless research and arguments), and so I've proposed the "Can
someone write an FA on the language's modern literature?" criterion as
a useful surrogate for the types of criteria you suggest.

Thanks,
Pharos