[Foundation-l] Provisional Volunteer Council - proposal sent to the Board

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Tue Apr 1 11:30:40 UTC 2008

I'll happily second that.

-----Original Message-----
From: foundation-l-bounces at lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:foundation-l-bounces at lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Ray Saintonge
Sent: 01 April 2008 06:22
To: effeietsanders at gmail.com; Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Provisional Volunteer Council - proposal sent to
the Board

I have one important amendment to propose:
    That the name of Lodewijk Gelauf, Effe iets anders (Main project:
nl.wikipedia) be added to the list.

Lodewijk has been the one to carry the ball to get this proposal to
where it is.  Many of us have talked about this for years, but he has
done the work. I understand that the only reason why his name was
omitted from the list was because of his ethical concerns about
self-nomination.  It is an honour to nominate him.

Ec

effe iets anders wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>  I am very glad that the proposal for establishing a provisional
> volunteer council received such a lot support both on this list as in
> private conversations.
>
>  Since the request for candidates for the Provisional Volunteer
> Council, I received quite some nominations. However, unfortunately I
> have to admit that there were no (willing) candidates from some
> important regions amongst these. As I have to work with the candidates
> that were nominated, I was therefore unable to candidate someone from
> these regions.
>
>  I did try however, to get at least a few projects represented, and
> also a more technical person (from the developers side of the
> volunteer spectrum). Please find my final suggestion list below in the
> proposal (attached again for reference - only one minor spelling and
> layout changes).
>
>  Please note that this is a *proposed* resolution, and not yet accepted.
>
>  I know this list is not very long. And some area's are still missing
> in representation. However, I trust this group wholehearely, and
> suppose that they will make sure as a first thing to get at least one
> or more projects better represented (such as Wikinews or Wikiversity
> which have a very different character).
>
>  If you have major concerns with respect to this list of candidates,
> please send them to this list or communicate them to the Board (I am
> not sure which route is the best for that though). I will make no
> changes any more myself, but the Board is of course able to determine
> the list as it likes.
>

>  With kind regards,
>
>  Lodewijk Gelauff
>

>  --------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Whereas the Board,
>
> * recognizes the value of volunteers in Wikimedia projects and that
> their work is the very reason of their success,
> * values the volunteers' opinions and takes them into serious
> consideration when discussing issues involving the volunteers,
> * is of the opinion that these volunteers should have a strong say in
> changes in the articles of incorporation and the bylaws of the
> Wikimedia Foundation,
> * considers a Volunteer Council a valuable intermediary between
> volunteers and the Foundation, and as a good instrument to hear the
> voice of the volunteers:
>
> it is hereby resolved that:
>
> 1. The Board of Trustees hereby creates a Volunteer Council, to serve
> as a valuable complement to the Staff, Advisory Board and Board of
> Trustees.
> 2. Without restricting the generality of this provision the purposes
> of the Volunteer Council shall include:
>
>   1) Offering advice and support on issues relevant to the Wikimedia
Volunteers,
>   2) Recommanding the opening or closure of Wikimedia projects,
>   3) Approving changes to the articles of incorporation or bylaws of
> the Wikimedia Foundation and
>   4) Assist in establishing a clear separation between the legal
> responsibilities of the Wikimedia Foundation as an Internet Service
> Provider and the community decisions for the Wikimedia Projects.
>
> 3. The members from the Volunteer Council must be volunteers within
Wikimedia.