[Foundation-l] [Internal-l] Relocation Announcement

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Sep 25 12:38:19 UTC 2007

On 9/25/07, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> > On 9/25/07, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> >
> >> If
> >> transatlantic distances were the main factor, the BBC ought to be
> >> perceptibly slow (it isn't, it loads nearly instantly), while Wikipedia
> >> ought to be fast (it isn't, it takes time before it even starts serving
> >> me pages, especially on large pages).
> >>

> > Log out then clear any en.wikipedia.org cookies. Or try a wp you don't
> > log into like German. Who knows what cache killing user preferences or
> > scripts you have set...
> >
> > For readers Wikipedia is usually quite quick. It doesn't have the help
> > of an Akamai server 4ms away from you, but a typical random wikipedia
> > page will make only 4 or 5 http requests vs 49 for the BBC home page
> >

> But since the whole *point* of Wikipedia is a project to produce a free
> encyclopedia, what exactly is the purpose of comparing its speed after
> I'm logged out? If the goal is just to serve up read-only copies
> quickly, any mirror can do that.

In theory you should be able to use the vast majority of Wikipedia
from a read-only copy even while logged in.  Only actually changing an
article has to take that extra fraction of a second (unless you want
to drop the guarantee that your edit won't be accidentally overwritten
by someone else).  I guess that hasn't been implemented?