[Foundation-l] [Internal-l] Relocation Announcement

Mark Bergsma mark at wikimedia.org
Mon Sep 24 15:04:33 UTC 2007

Stephen Bain wrote:
> On 9/25/07, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Moving database servers out of the US on any scale creates
>> problematical legal issues.
>
> Perhaps, but we would get the most out of decentralising the squids
> anyway, since the network savings on a request that hits a squid will
> be greater proportionally than those on a request that ends up hitting
> one of the application servers.

Yes indeed, and therefore this has been the case for almost 3 years
already. We have 3 squid sites covering the most important geographic
regions, and may add a few more in the future if and where that makes sense.

Many factors come into play on this, and Greg has already explained most
of them. I think that currently we have a good, efficient balance on
service performance and reliability with the still rather measly budget
we have to work with.

--
Mark Bergsma <mark at wikimedia.org>
System and Network Administrator, Wikimedia Foundation