[Foundation-l] Relocation announcement

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Mon Sep 24 13:31:08 UTC 2007

George Herbert wrote:
> On 9/23/07, Sue Gardner <sgardner at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> George, Marc, Sue, others - what neighbourhoods might you recommend?
>> Fundamentally, for that first year, we are looking for something
>> transit-accessible, central, and as cheap as possible. A little seedy
>> would be okay.
>>

> In my personal opinion...
>
> In San Francisco, the two parts of town that I would recommend would
> be SOMA (despite my earlier comments) and on Market up between say 7th
> and 12th streets.
>
> There's some parking around SOMA, though it's not great.  The 101 and
> 80 freeways (landing for the Bay Bridge) go through or touch down in
> SOMA.  MUNI trains go mostly around, not through, SOMA, but the buses
> connect on through the middle.  The Caltrain trains coming up from the
> Peninsula land at 5th and King St, at the south edge of SOMA.
>
> SOMA ranges from upscale to slightly seedy, but is not cheap.
>
> Market and very slightly south of market in the 7th to 12th street
> area is cheaper, but much seedier.  It's not as freeway accessable and
> has lousy parking, but is right on the BART and MUNI train lines.  Ten
> years ago this area was a bit too dangerous; it's still downscale, but
> not so bad.
>
> Where I'm coming from...
>
> I work doing IT consulting work for a company based in Santa Clara,
> near San Jose.  I've worked for long periods around in SF, Emeryville,
> Berkeley, Oakland, San Mateo, Mountain View, Santa Clara, San Jose,
> Cupertino, ... around a lot.  More in the South Bay than elsewere, but
> a fair amount in downtown SF or SOMA (4 years worth?  5 maybe).
>
> I'm not a business real estate person, but some of my IT work has
> included IT facilities, and I've been familiar with the facilities
> people and leasing issues to some degree nearly everywhere I've
> worked.
>

> To second something I think Phoebe hinted at in passing...
>
> A good resource would be to ping all the people who attended the
> en.wikipedia SF meetups 2 and 3 (a few months ago, and last weekend) -
> the first was great, I was sick for the second, but it sounds like
> turnout was good and people had fun.  They will undoubtedly have their
> own opinions and experiences.
>

> Should there be a page on Meta?  8-)

What a great mail George, thanks - I am now thinking about Market for
the immediate future. And please by all means, I would love to see a
Meta page for this conversation.

I also wonder, could we follow up with you off-list if we have
facilities-related questions? (I'm thinking we may want to ask you a few
things as this moves along.)

Let me know, thanks,
Sue