[Foundation-l] Relocation announcement

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 00:45:10 UTC 2007

On 9/21/07, Sue Gardner <sgardner at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I wanted to let you know that later this year, the Wikimedia Foundation
> will be relocating its headquarters to the San Francisco Bay area.

Well! Since the decision seems to have been made, welcome from all of us in
the greater SF Bay Area :) We just had a meetup in SF with 25+ Wikipedians
last week, and more are planned on a regular basis...

SF is certainly an expensive place to live and work, but then so are all the
other cities that were considered (except St. Pete itself). Hopefully as the
Foundation picks office space and settles down it will take some
considerations into account to make it a more grassroots-friendly situation,
as Mark notes; an office close to public transportation and perhaps other
like-minded groups (to share resources, energy and block parties with) seems
key.

-- phoebe