[Foundation-l] Relocation announcement

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 15:07:35 UTC 2007

On 9/23/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought the main reason British defamation law was "voracious and
> enthusiastic" was because it has a very loose definition of what it's
> jurisdiction is, so I don't see how the main WMF office being in
> Britain would make it any more susceptible to British defamation law.

It's one thing for a court to claim a certain jurisdiction; for that
jurisdiction to be effective requires that the court's judgments are
capable of being enforced. Whether the court can get at any assets is
the basic determinant of this.

So moving to the UK might not make a difference in terms of whether or
not the courts there are prepared to find liability, but it would make
a difference in terms of those courts' ability to follow through on
such a finding.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com