[Foundation-l] Release of squid log data

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Sep 20 19:14:57 UTC 2007

> On 20/09/2007, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > When did investigation and fact based criticism become synonymous with
> > stalking?  I missed that memo.
> > Or is it only stalking when it's someone "we" dislike investigating
> > someone "we" like, and protected free speech the other way around?
> > (like the extensive research that some of the "anti-stalkers" put into
> > Daniel Brandt these last few years)
> > I'm not saying that I agree with the allegations, but to call it
> > stalking when someone investigates something which they reasonably
> > believe to be misconduct just seems wrong to me.
>

> His activities in this regard (though not in relation to Wikipedia
> editors) have made serious papers. I fear you're talking out your arse
> on this one.

The closest I can find is an accusation by [good guy number 1], who
ironically uses the same exact law (Section 113 of the "Violence
Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act") that
[bad guy number 1] accuses Wikipedia admins of violating.  And [good
guy number 1]'s accusation in itself rests upon "outing" [bad guy
number 2].

If that law really is to be read as broadly as [bad guy number 1] and
[good guy number 1] want it read (that "annoying" people anonymously
is illegal), then [good guy number 1], [good gal number 1], and [bad
guy number 2] are all guilty of violating it.