[Foundation-l] Release of squid log data

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 18:27:25 UTC 2007

On 20/09/2007, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19/09/2007, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ... it's very very very easy to accidentally edit while
> > logged out, especially when you cross over to one of our other wikis
> > like commons or meta.
>
> Mmm. I have, in the past, edited (unintentionally) logged out from
> three different home addresses, from work, and from a friend's machine
> *whose IP resolved to her name*.
>
> (Seriously. Oh, you have to love badly-designed university networks.)

If I accidentally edit logged out, you'll find the enwiki user page
for my static IP address links to my user page. I understand that
other people want to keep their identity secret, but I really don't
care. Perhaps I would feel differently if someone starting stalking
me, but even then I doubt it. To be honest, not trying to hide
probably reduces your chances of being stalked - what's the point in
stalking someone who tells you exactly where to find them? (Well, I
don't intend to hand out my home address or phone number, but it
wouldn't be too difficult for someone to find out my uni timetable,
find my picture on the noticeboard in my college and wait for me
outside Algebraic Geometry. I would probably notice if they followed
me home, though.)