[Foundation-l] Release of squid log data

SlimVirgin slimvirgin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 22:10:56 UTC 2007

On 9/19/07, Luna <lunasantin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, research is important. Yes, our goal is to spread and increase the sum
> of human knowledge. But privacy of private data is currently written into
> policy as being *important*, and I haven't yet seen a compelling reason to
> change that.
>
> This should not be a casual decision. The information security of our
> editors and readers should be an utmost priority.

Information security is particularly important given that
cyberstalking has become an increasing problem on Wikipedia. We're
currently hearing about several new cases a month, and some of them
have been quite serious, with editors (usually admins) being contacted
at their homes, family members threatened with violence, threats to
contact employers, and so on.

My understanding is that, with the information people are considering
releasing, it would be possible for someone to work out which editor
had which IP address, which would be a serious betrayal of trust.

Sarah