[Foundation-l] Release of squid log data

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 12:18:25 UTC 2007

On 15/09/2007, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> Trust and signatures are not enough.  How will they react if a
> government demands the release of private information?  If we determine
> that we will not release it in the absence of a court order, what
> recourse do we have if the acquirers are not willing to resist a
> government order in the courts?  In some jurisdictions there may be no
> such right to challenge such an order.

It's going to Spain. The data protection laws (and culture) there are
more stringent than those in the US. This sort of handwaving is a
little misleading... it's at just as much risk of a government demand,
with substantially lower legal protection or right to refuse, on *our*
servers!

(The same argument applies to whoever said "and if an Iranian
university asked for it?"... that would be a very different question,
and we would be quite within our rights to say no if we felt the
information would not be appropiately safeguarded from misuse either
by the recipient or their government)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk