[Foundation-l] Release of squid log data

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 23:50:12 UTC 2007

On 16/09/2007, Samuel Klein <sj at laptop.org> wrote:
> So when we do make stats available, I'd like to see us err on the side of
> giving our community of amazingly talented users/contributors access to them,
> before giving them to a university that asks formally on electronic letterhead.

Although, if we only release data internally, there is still the same
problem that any results of research would be unrepeatable and
unverifiable, isn't there?

If this data is so valuable, might we not even be *obliged* to release
it (or some form of it)? In the name of freely sharing in the sum of
all knowledge, and all that. :)

The privacy policy appears to be written with community==editors in
mind. Is it sensible to act as if our community includes readers?
That's getting to be like, everyone who uses the web. That's rather
above and beyond what I would expect our privacy policy to cover. If
as Tim says 99% of the data is about readers, maybe we could release a
public API to access reader data?

cheers,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/