[Foundation-l] Let's switch to CC-BY-SA

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Sep 13 23:29:23 UTC 2007

On 9/13/07, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> Brian McNeil wrote:
> > Going back to Wikinews, and our CC-BY license, we've been using GFDL images
> > from Commons for ages - am I missing some subtle distinction between
> > licenses that means we're not in the wrong doing this? Some of the comments
> > in this discussion have suggested that if you use any GFDL content the
> > document containing it must also be GFDL.
> >

> The short answer is that nobody knows. It depends on whether an article
> containing an image is a "derivative work" of the image. The FSF takes
> the position that it is; the Creative Commons folk take the position
> that it isn't; neither position has ever been tested in a court.

You must be misexplaining the question, because it's quite obvious
that an article containing an image is a "derivative work" of the
image.  I seriously doubt the Creative Commons folk take the position
that it isn't.

Has the FSF ever been asked if an article containing an image is a
"derivative work" of the text?  Because it's quite obvious that that
is true as well.