[Foundation-l] Let's switch to CC-BY-SA

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Sep 11 15:07:56 UTC 2007

On 9/11/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, I don't know what 'de minimis' is in your opinion, but surely
> > when we want others to keep to the GFDL, keeping to it ourselves would
> > be the first thing to do. If we say it's okay to break some rules of
> > the GFDL, why not others? If it's okay to not make a title page as
> > required by the GFDL, why is it not okay to not include the full text
> > of the license?
>
> It all boils down to "the spirit of the license". As long as we don't
> violate the spirit of the license (which we don't), we should be fine.
> If not legally, then at least morally.

The spirit of the license is that anyone in the world should be able
to easily obtain a copy of the document, make some changes, and
legally publish that fork.

Instead, you get: "You may be able to partially fulfill the latter two
obligations by providing a conspicuous direct link back to the
Wikipedia article hosted on this website. You also need to provide
access to a transparent copy of the new text. However, please note
that the Wikimedia Foundation makes no guarantee to retain authorship
information and a transparent copy of articles. Therefore, you are
encouraged to provide this authorship information and a transparent
copy with your derived works."