[Foundation-l] Let's switch to CC-BY-SA

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 14:26:08 UTC 2007

Hoi,
What you have to consider is why people contribute to Wikipedia or any of
the other Wikimedia Foundation's projects; people contribute to create some
of the greatest free resource on the Internet. Most people do not care at
all what license is used; they care for the result.

When emotional language like "stealing" is used, you have to consider WHAT
is stolen. The original resource is still there and with a CC-by-sa license
the content is still available under a license that is viral in nature. The
reason for changing the license is honourable; the object of this change is
to get rid of the problems that are inherent in a license that was meant to
be used for the documentation of software. A license that was not meant for
content like we create.

Also when you consider the current practice, we do not insist at all on
conformceto the requirements as specified in the GFDL.

Using emotional language like "stealing" is not only wrong, it is also using
the same terminology of the RIAA. Do you really want to compare yourself
with them ???
Thanks,
     GerardM