[Foundation-l] Let's switch to CC-BY-SA

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Tue Sep 11 09:56:22 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:

>I'd say it's not a legal problem - it's a public relations problem
>(internal and external). Looking like we're asserting "all your base
>are belong to us, sue if you don't like it" would appear (and IMO be)
>extremely rude behaviour.

Wikinews transitioned to a CC-BY license some time ago. We could manage that
because articles cease being edited when they're a few days old. The
community was small at the time, and with news there is a greater desire to
be credited for your work - even if only to the site you contribute to.

If you dig through our archives you'll find articles tagged with a notice
saying they're under GFDL, but if you look you'll see they're all protected.

I do not think the same sort of transition is possible for Wikipedia.
Updating through FDL licenses to one that better suits the project may
frustrate some as the drafting process is slow; it has, however, to be a far
better option than alienating a portion of the contributor base.