[Foundation-l] Let's switch to CC-BY-SA

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 08:31:08 UTC 2007

On 10/09/2007, Axel Boldt <axelboldt at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I realize that this opt-out procedure is not perfectly clean from a
> legalistic standpoint, but neither is our current distortion of the
> GFDL.

In any plausible situation where the GFDL is viewed as valid at all,
this is more "flagrantly wrong" rather than "not perfectly clean". You
can't simply reappropriate people's intellectual property and declare
that henceforth it will be used in a way they didn't consent to...

...this is, you know, why we have copyright laws.

There are long-term plans to gradually converge the licenses, and all
our licensed material has that handy "or any later version" clause
allowing for evolution in this regard. I'm not sure throwing it all
away for Magic Change Now Please is productive.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk