[Foundation-l] Sassarese and Sardinian

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 06:59:20 UTC 2007

Hoi,
Dante Alighieri did not speak Italian. The medieval notion of "noble aulic,
courtier and distinguished" are not the same notions as we have today. They
are also not the notions that are used to get recognition from such bodies
as ISO and thank <insert your favourite deity> for that. It would for
instance not allow for sign languages to be recognised as such.

It is not that relevant what politicians call a language. The recognition
that is valid for the Wikimedia Foundation is not decided by any particular
political entity. There is literature in the Sardinian languages. It is
however not possible for a constructed language to usurp the existing
literature and claim it their own in order to get ISO recognition.
Thanks,
     GerardM