[Foundation-l] Sassarese and Sardinian

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 06:13:39 UTC 2007

Hoi,
A language code will not be issued by IANA unless a request for an ISO 639
code has been granted. The Limba Sarda Comune is as indicated before a
written language that has just been created. We do not make up codes any
more even though we did so in the past. The problems that we create for
ourselves are just not worth it.

I do also think that you do not know your facts that well. All recognised
sign languages do not comply with the requirement that there are fifty books
in that language. It is just one group of languages that does not fit in
your idea of how recognition for languages may be had, there are others.

As the Limba Sarda Comune is a recently constructed language, it will once
recognised get a code that will sit on the same level as the four languages
that are recognised already. Your notion that we should allow for the
combining of languages is flatly wrong, it will lead to the most awful
politicking. It is therefore that the language committee does disapprove of
any such moves.

Thanks,
       GerardM