[Foundation-l] Is fair use a right as well as a defense?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 10:09:32 UTC 2007

I am not a US lawyer, nor is [[Pamela Jones]] of [[Groklaw]]. But
here's some food for thought:

Despite my personal fondness for slash-and-burning fair abuse on en:wp
and taking away children's eyecandy, I remain a big fan of fair use,
because quotation is a necessary part of being able to talk about
something. [[Golan v. Gonzales]] (that's a red link. Could someone
please write the article?) is the US 10th Circuit Court of Appeals
saying it is too.

So what's Wikipedia and Wikimedia's duty to exercise that right in the
pursuit of educational value?

- d.