[Foundation-l] Let's switch to CC-BY-SA

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Sep 10 02:14:25 UTC 2007

On 9/10/07, Axel Boldt <axelboldt at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The Wikimedia projects should switch from the GFDL to the CC-BY-SA
> license.

I'm going to have to quickly kill this discussion.

The Foundation is in ongoing discussions with the FSF & CC about
resolving issues with the GFDL & ensuring better compatibility between
licenses. We will likely present one or multiple decision paths to the
community soon for further discussion. This is not one of them, as we
do not have to resort to a legally risky move if a newer version of
the GFDL is released which meets our needs.

Please have a little more patience; we've been working on this issue
for many months & we've been making significant progress.
--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik