[Foundation-l] Let's switch to CC-BY-SA

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Sep 10 01:22:17 UTC 2007

On 9/9/07, Axel Boldt <axelboldt at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
>
> > "Not perfectly clean from a legalistic standpoint" is rather an
> > understatement. "Not even remotely legal" would be more like it.
>
> Just as legal as the opt-out copyright infringement of the Internet
> Archive, which to my knowledge has never been sued.

They have been sued (see for example
http://www.eff.org/legal/cases/landmark/), and considering that
archives are explicitly protected under the DMCA I'd say it's a much
different legal position.

> In any event, I
> don't think it's important to follow legal rules just for the sake of
> formality; the only thing that matters is whether your actions are
> ethical and how likely it is that you can be successfully sued over
> them.

Agreed, but not applicable, as what would be ethical would be to start
following the GFDL.

Of course, from a legal standpoint, that'd be irrelevant, since the
WMF has already had its rights terminated under the GFDL (see section
9).