[Foundation-l] Let's switch to CC-BY-SA

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 01:06:01 UTC 2007

On 10/09/2007, Axel Boldt <axelboldt at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > And the derivs? You would risk shredding wikipedia.
>
> Should any contributors show up who don't want their material
> distributed under CC-BY-SA, you just ask them what text in current
> articles was written by them, and you delete it.

No. Have to delete back a a version prior to their first edit unless
than edit was outright reverted. otherwise work will be derive of non
CC stuff.

> > Can't. We don't have the capacity to delete on that scale.
>
> I expect the scale to be minuscule.

With the number of GFDL only images around I think not. Wouldn't take
many of the more active editors to give us a massive deletion problem.

> > Nope. Dissagreement over what counts as a deriv is rather
> > significant.
>
> The term "derivative work" occurs in both licenses and its meaning
> cannot be changed by a license text; it's defined by law and by the
> courts.

The relevant terms are aggregation vs collective

Various comments by the two organisations exasperate matters.

--
geni