[Foundation-l] Wikinews reaches 10k PUBLISHED articles

James Forrester jdforrester at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 12:06:05 UTC 2007

On 09/09/2007, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> On 9/7/07, brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org> wrote:
> > We have a story on the fact that we've reached the milestone,
> > http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/English_Wikinews_publishes_10000th_article
>
> Wow, and here I thought Wikinews wasn't a publisher, but just an ISP.

No, the Foundation is an ISP which provides the community, Wikinews,
with the resources by which it, acting individually but in group
spirit, publishes items. The individuals take responsibility for their
actions; the community has no real form and takes no particular
liability; and the Foundation has protections as an online provider of
hosting services (ISP is an oft-abused term) under the "Safe Harbor"
[sic] legislation, as I understand it. Brian's terminology is entirely
correct - the "we" refers to the group of people in the
(non-corporate) community.

Hope this helps clear things up for you, Anthony.

Yours,
--
James D. Forrester
jdforrester at wikimedia.org | jdforrester at gmail.com