[Foundation-l] Bot policy on bots operating interwiki

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 14:57:54 UTC 2007

2007/9/8, White Cat <wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com>:

> I bet it is the same code (redirect.py). You can intwerwiki link pages like
> that with it too.

I suppose you mean interwiki.py rather than redirect.py? In that case,
yes, it's the same code. The options are a bit different (in
particular, I don't use -automatic as a smaller difference I do use
-whenneeded:3), but it's the same code. There might be differences on
the decision for that (on the one hand, my bot does some changes that
would not 'otherwise'  be done by another bot, on the other hand,
those are changes that would be more likely to be protested). Still,
it's mostly the same code.

> The amount of attention I pay to it is directly
> proportional to the number of wikis my bot operates on (other wise it is a
> waste of time as explained above as another interwiki bot would simply
> revert). I do not have the time for that at the moment because I have 665
> wikis to request a bot flag which I rather not.

If people want to give my bot a bot flag, I'm happy with that. If they
prefer to have it run without a bot flag, or if they don't mind either
way, I'm happy with that too. Basically, I just start running my bot
on a wiki, and sometimes (often 2 years or so afterward) I get to hear
that I should request a bot flag. I still think that's silly - I can
imagine having to ask permission, but the bot flag is for the normal
users, not for me, so I don't see any reason why I should be the one
to ask it.

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels