[Foundation-l] Software Policy Draft

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Wed Sep 5 13:56:33 UTC 2007

Free software and unencumbered, openly documented, formats are a means to an
end - which means their use is not a primary goal on any Wiki project. Wiki
should have the goal of having material in a format that a parser can be
written from *as well as* whatever formats have significantly widespread
adoption and do not require a license fee.

I see the benefits of free formats, and being able to use free software.
However we should not create a digital divide because people aren't
technically savvy enough to obtain tools to work with these formats.

Brian McNeil