[Foundation-l] FW: [Wikimediameta-l] Wikimedia and cyberstalking

Slim Virgin slimvirgin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 01:39:15 UTC 2007

On 9/4/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/09/07, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> > With all due respect this seems somewhat backwards. A useful
> > sociological study would be:
>
> She didn't say she was writing a sociological study. "A paper" could
> be anything from very informal to peer-reviewed.
>
> This proposal puts the
> > cart behind the horse, opining, despite admittedly not having "concrete
> > examples", that it is a serious problem that the Foundation is not
> > responding to appropriately, and then trolling for anecdotes.
>
> Asking for private emails could be trolling?? ...
>
> regards,
> Brianna

"Trolling for anecdotes"?

Mark, first, this isn't an academic paper, though even if it were,
there'd be nothing wrong with asking targets to contact me.

Secondly, I don't say it's a serious problem. I believe it is, but I'd
first of all like to hear from people who've experienced it.

Third, my main concern is to document how stalking makes people feel.
There seems to be an ideology on Wikipedia that targets should just
toughen up, grow a thicker skin, or "man up," as the editor of Salon
put it. So I think it'll be helpful to document what effect these
experiences have.

Finally, it's not a question of claiming that the Foundation isn't
responding appropriately. It's not responding at all. This is because
it's not aware of the extent of the problem, and it's not clear what
it *could* do, given its limited resources. Anything that gathers up
examples and tries to show the type of problem we're dealing with is
surely likely to help, if only in a small way.

Sarah