[Foundation-l] Software Policy Draft

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 17:53:33 UTC 2007

> The technical staff have ample experience with the values of the community.

I was talking in general terms. Yes, the current technical staff are
not an issue. Future technical staff, and non-technical staff could
be. We don't recruit staff based on their experience with Wikipedia,
we recruit them based on their ability to do the job (although
experience with Wikipedia is taken into account, I hope).

> The problem comes when a vague written policy such as this one could be
> read in a way that conflicts with the core principles of the Foundation.
> The Foundation's mission is education; promotion of free software is
> secondary to that.

A bad policy is worse than no policy in many cases, yes, but that's
why we've been told about this policy while it's at the draft stage.
We should be able to help the board put together a good policy.