[Foundation-l] [Wikinews-l] Proposal for the creation of aWikinews foundation

Craig Spurrier craig at craigweb.net
Sun Sep 2 15:41:10 UTC 2007

The last we heard about it Jimbo was going to ask Mike to look at it. If
Mike says the WMF can do it, Jimbo says we could "fundraise on wikinews
itself to get the money for the Foundation to hire a "Wikinews community
liason"" (a job I would be very much interested in :) ). If the WMF can
not do it then we need a separate org. Wikinews needs proper press
accreditation. One recentish example of this need is we had a reporter
covering a protest whose WN press badge saved him from getting arrested
and worse. The fact that it worked may very well due to the fact that
the police were rushed and had no idea what Wikipedia is. If they had
taken the time to really read the card and saw the big disclaimer that
says the person is not really affiliated with anything or if they knew
about Wikipedia only from one of the anti-Wikipedia articles, there is
no telling what could have happened, we could have had our first
reporter in jail.

Until we hear back from Mike, there is nothing we can really do, but the
need is still very much present.

At the present there is fairly mixed support from the Wikimedia
community, but very strong support from the Wikinews community.

-Craig Spurrier
[[n:Craig Spurrier]]