[Foundation-l] WikiCurriculum -- clarifications and responses to early questions.

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 11:46:47 UTC 2007

On 9/2/07, Martin Weissman <weissman.marty at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here are a few clarifications and responses to early questions regarding the
> WikiCurriculum project:
>
> There have been a few discussions along the lines of "doesn't this fit into
> WikiBooks or WikiUniversity, or a semantic enhancement thereof".  While I
> have tried to discuss the differences within the project proposal, perhaps a
> few more words should be said about the differences.
>
> The primary difference is that the WikiCurriculum project has semantic
> information at its heart, and the needs of (U.S.) school districts as its
> motivation.   While WikiBooks might attempt to write textbooks to address
> standards (such as the A-level math textbooks already there), and
> WikiUniversity (and the community college project) might come up with
> curricula, the WikiCurriculum project would specifically contain the
> information necessary to ensure the mathematical and pedagogical soundness
> of textbooks and curricula in general (at least in 9-12 math).
[snip]

Thanks Marty,

I still don't understand why this project couldn't fit into a semantic
extension of Wikiversity. I agree that this project could be a driver
for content and activity on Wikiversity and Wikibooks in particular -
and if it could be operated from within one of them, then so much the
better. Wikiversity and Wikibooks are still trying to find ways to
interoperate - I don't see the value (for now) of creating a further
distinctive project, but prefer to enhance what we already have.
Wikiversity was set up in quite an experimental context - and we still
need to explore how it can be made more useful - including the
development and use of technical extensions. I think this is one solid
project which could further that agenda.

Cheers,

Cormac