[Foundation-l] Our values

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 17:21:27 UTC 2007

> Matthew Britton wrote:
> > Erik Moeller wrote:
> >
> >> - I do not believe that we should ever sacrifice friendliness "for the
> >> greater good".
> >>
> > You haven't edited the English Wikipedia recently, have you?
> If we let ourselves be guided by the excesses of some English
> Wikipedians, and use that or a reaction to that as a foundation for our
> values we are deeper in the doo-doo than I ever would have imagined.

You had me till "excesses of some". While I can not pretend to speak
for anyone but myself, I cannot deny that emphasizing various super-
ordinate goals (wisely or otherwise; I genuinely will not say which) has
led to a *systemic* culture of "balancing" the value of contributions
and the behaviour of the contributors who have made them. The
Arbitration Committee deserves much of the praise/blame here.