[Foundation-l] YouPorn in Germany: Another ugly legal case

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Oct 27 19:12:52 UTC 2007

Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> On Friday 26 October 2007 20:47, geni wrote:
>
>> On 22/10/2007, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Of course not. The risk here is of a slippery slope. If this goes
>>> through, ThePirateBay.org is next - and then _every_ website will be a
>>> potential target under German law, whether it targets a German
>>> speaking audience or not. There's a potential for things to get really
>>> ugly for German Internet users.
>>>
>> Not really. If you live outside the US your internet will if not
>> already being censored will be over the next decade.
>>
> I'm not afraid. Here the government is so incompetent it wouldn't know how to
> censor the Internet even when it finds out what it is.
No government is exempt from that.  Technological competence is not part
of a politician's job description.  It's also a problem for many other
professions. Politicians react most quickly to fear, and to perceived
problems that arise from fear.  The problems arising from pornsters and
con-artists are easily put in the faces of politicians, and inspire them
to quick fixes that have unforeseen restrictive effects on the majority
of people, who would never dream of engaging in such behaviour.

Ec