[Foundation-l] Supporting languages is supporting people

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 17:11:08 UTC 2007

Hoi,
Resources and investments also imply labour. There are several instances
where the choice for spending time of our paid for programmers is dedicated
to things that are nice to have. Often the choice is made because of what is
seen as of a big relevance to the "big" projects ie languages. Even though
MediaWiki is exceptional in the amount of languages  we support, the fact
that a fifth of the languages that have a Wikipedia indicates that contrary
what we say MediaWiki does not support 250 languages. People invest in their
Wikipedia and we do not cherish this investment by ensuring that the
localisation is seen as vital.

It is wrong to suggest that the User Interface is not a vital component of a
successful Wikipedia. With some regularity projects are voted to be closed
down. They are typically programs that do not have a good localisation, they
are typically programs that do not have a community. They are typically
Wikipedias that have been started prematurely. Yes, there are Wikipedias
that are doing fine, the issue is that many people are upset by Wikipedias
failing. We lose support for adding new languages with more projects
failing.

What we aim for in new Wikipedias is project that provide good information
to the people. We should not expect people to read any other language. A
Wikipedia is there to provide people with knowledge and for this an
appropriate user interface is essential. As long as the User Interface is
not localised it is not yet ready to go life for the people to find
information in their language.

Thanks,
      GerardM