[Foundation-l] Laugh or cry, just don't quote me.

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Oct 25 04:41:53 UTC 2007

On 10/25/07, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:
> In writing the Foundation's resolution on licensing policy and enwiki's
> non-free content criteria (i.e. it's "exemption doctrine policy"), there
> appears to be a little problem.  Both were designed around handling images,

.. or other media files, really. This is also implicitly stated
through the language such as "uploaded media files" etc. Quotations
are fine as long as they are not excessive & aren't used to substitute
our own writing (e.g. an article which primarily consists of a quote).
It may be sensible to have an explicit policy on text quotations at
some point, but it hasn't been a problem so far except for Wikiquote,
which is a difficult beast in its own right.

If you feel you need an official interpretation from WMF of what the
LP means for quotes, I'm sure Mike Godwin would be happy to elaborate
further. :-)
--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik