[Foundation-l] Priorities

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 11:23:46 UTC 2007

> The most frightening implication in what Gerard says is that some
> smaller projects might take the behaviour on the English Wikipedia as a
> role model.
>
> Ec

Sadly (speaking as someone observing both the english wikipedia and
a smaller language - Finnish - wikipedia at some detail  but detachment),
it is worse than that.

Not only are some (praise be, a very small minority) modeling bad
behaviour on what some nitwits have figured out would be fun to do
on the english wikipedia...

...but some are (from the best of motives) attempting to pre-empt
such bad behaviour by pre-implementing the fixes the english
wikipedia has (with better or poorer success) instated to attempt to
ameliorate the effects of such bad behaviour.

There is some meta-level weirdness that increases the levels of what
goes on, but this is the core of the matter and enough to consider on
its bare self.

Now, granted, this may well head off some ugly behaviour at the pass
before it ever has the chance to get ingrained in a smaller wikipedias
culture and community... ...and yet...

...and yet, I can't help but feel a certain regret at the smaller
communities
perhaps missing out on that magic age of a projects innocence when
working on it was actually fun, without having to contort everything in
bureaucratic ribbons.