[Foundation-l] Priorities

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Oct 23 22:59:43 UTC 2007

On 10/23/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Anthony wrote:

> >> I put my donation last year through my accountants as tax deductible, and
> >> I'm in Belgium. What happened?
> >>
> > I'm pretty sure Florence was wrong here.
>
> ???
>
> I'm pretty sure I was right. I doubt very much that a donation from a
> person in Belgium, made to an american organization, can be deductible
> from your belgium income taxes.
> But IANA (I am not accountant) and if your accountants think it is fine...

IAAA (I am an accountant), but not in Belgium, and my comment was not
related to Belgium.  Where I believe you're wrong is when you said
that the USA is the only place donations to the WMF are tax
deductible.

I can't speak for Belgium tax law.  And you shouldn't either.

> > "The Wikimedia Foundation has 501(c)(3) tax exempt status in the
> > United States. Donations made from other nations may also be tax
> > deductible. See deductibility of donations for details."
> > http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/About_Wikimedia#Where_does_the_money_come_from.3F
> >
> > http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Deductibility_of_donations
>
> Ya. If you give the donation to some of the chapters, who are tax
> deductible in your nation. Eg, Wikimedia France, eg Wikimedia Deutschland...

Is there even a chapter in Canada?

> > Additionally, the tax deduction in the United States is only available
> > to less than one third of taxpayers.  If you take the standard
> > deduction, you don't get a tax break for donations.

And a full 18% of people in the US don't even speak English as their
primary language.