[Foundation-l] Priorities

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Oct 23 22:21:17 UTC 2007

On 10/23/07, Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org> wrote:
> Florence Devouard wrote:
>
> > * the tax deduction is only available in the USA. Not anywhere else.
>
> I put my donation last year through my accountants as tax deductible, and
> I'm in Belgium. What happened?

I'm pretty sure Florence was wrong here.

"The Wikimedia Foundation has 501(c)(3) tax exempt status in the
United States. Donations made from other nations may also be tax
deductible. See deductibility of donations for details."
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/About_Wikimedia#Where_does_the_money_come_from.3F

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Deductibility_of_donations

Additionally, the tax deduction in the United States is only available
to less than one third of taxpayers.  If you take the standard
deduction, you don't get a tax break for donations.