[Foundation-l] Fundraising banner ad

SJ Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 22:01:24 UTC 2007

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Erik Moeller wrote:

> On 10/23/07, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
>> I've been here for nearly 5 years and *I'm* not even sold on that, so I
>> could see why not everyone else is either. The servers at
>> *.wikipedia.org are not going to shut down if the fundraiser comes short
>
> Probably not. But would you like to turn off article reads because we
> can't handle the growth? Yes, we are actually still growing in
> traffic, now peaking at nearly 40K hits per second  -- and new servers
> have to be paid for and budgeted.
>
> You can see the FY07-08 budget overview here:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Planned_Spending_Distribution_2007-2008
>
> As you can see, technology is clearly the biggest part. That also
> includes finally hiring more developers, contracting work as needed,
> etc., so we can actually respond in a timely fashion to requests from
> the community, and integrate cool new features that everyone keeps
> asking for.

It is the budget for non-technical things that is a bigger change.
Is there a similar chart for last year's budget?

> None of these ideas seem controversial. Indeed, we've been talking
> about them constantly -- and Board members, including yours truly,
> were elected based on the idea of helping to turn them into reality.

The Board, as representatives of and popular spokespeople for the
community, can do many things to turn ideas into reality; I hope that
realizing new ideas through the community's existing bounty of freely
shared expertise will remain the expectation and not the exception.
Saying {{sofixit}} rather than fighting with community about who is
authoritized to allocate pixels is a fine example!

Regards,
SJ