[Foundation-l] Priorities

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 19:04:51 UTC 2007

Hoi,
It is in the in the way we present the Wikimedia Foundation; in interviews
and in presentations the English language Wikipedia dominates. When
something is done in the English Wikipedia it is news. Something of equal
relevance in another project is not. When you consider the massive
improvements that have happened in Wiktionary ... Nobody knows, seems to
care. This is the pattern. When people discuss technical developments it
does not happen when it is not of relevance for the English Wikipedia. Who
cares that there is no language file in MediaWiki for a fifth of the
languages we say MediaWiki supports ?

Really, I do care for other things then for the English language Wikipedia.
I have found that I should not rely on anyone if something needs to get done
because it is almost certain that not much will happen. I am thrilled that
the WMF is getting its house in order. I hope that with more developers we
will finally see some code accepted / finished. The backlog is overwhelming.

With things getting more and more organised, with the notion of fundraising
to become a foundation activity, I hope that many cool mash ups will be
realised. There is so much we are in a position to do if we had the will,
the man power and the endurance to do them. Really If you ask me I hope that
the WMF will raise EUR 4.000.000,- and will put all this money to work.

Thanks,
    GerardM