[Foundation-l] Video on youtube

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Tue Oct 23 15:30:38 UTC 2007

Brion Vibber wrote:

>Brian McNeil wrote:
>> I had the video stall on me so clicked for the YouTube "unofficial"
>mirror.
>> After the video YouTube runs ads for a number of clips entitled
>"Wikipedia
>> sucks". Is there somewhere else the video can be put that it isn't going
>> be followed by stuff like this?
>
>Being able to post "X sucks" is our god-given right as internet citizens.

I don't disagree with that. I'm asking can we use a mirror that doesn't have
that the instant after ours finishes? I even watched a couple of them.

I appreciate video sucks up bandwidth like inhaling golfballs through a
hosepipe, and as a result we need a backup that uses Akaimi (sp?) or
similar. The comments on the YouTube video are almost all positive, so there
doesn't really seem to be much desire to say "Wikipedia sucks" among the
viewers. It is the relevance algorithm that is associating the videos in a
way that isn't good.

Let me guess... Fall back to tried principles, more speech is better. Get
making "Wikipedia rocks!" videos to go up alongside Jimbo's on YouTube. :)

Oh, and the eyes bit bugged me too.

Brian.