[Foundation-l] Implications of IMSLP case

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 14:40:48 UTC 2007

--- Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/22/07, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > In addition to that mess the layout/typography of
> sheet much enjoys
> > copyright in some jurisdictions... although these
> can be avoided by
> > retranscribing the works... but for many kinds of
> music that can be a
> > really substantial amount of work. (Too bad we
> don't have the WikiTeX
> > sheet music extension...)
>
> A purely electronic representation would be good
> since in many
> jurisdictions electronic representations, unlike
> physical
> representations, don't attract separate copyrights
> on the layout.
>
> I note that on the IMSLP forums the suggestion has
> been raised by one
> of the site admins that since the project was
> getting too large for
> one person to handle anyway, another project like
> Gutenberg or
> Wikimedia might be able to take it over.
>
> There have already been some efforts towards having
> more sheet music
> within Wikimedia projects, including a proposal for
> a separate sheet
> music project (though perhaps a different name would
> be appropriate):
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiScores
>
> See also:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Music_markup
>
> The music part of WikiTeX seems pretty good, it even
> generates midis
> along with the sheet music image!
>
> http://wikisophia.org/wiki/Wikitex#Music
>
> --
> Stephen Bain
> stephen.bain at gmail.com

If the WMF developers ever allow that extension to go
live, Wikisource is already prepared to accept musical
scores.  All of are current policies at en.WS already
do allow sheet music even though it is technically not
feasible.  I would welcome all contributers from IMSLP
to join us at Wikisource and jump right in adding
scores when the technical issue is taken care of.  The
best thing I can recommend to make this happen is to
recruit some developers to work on the technical side
and see that lilypond meets approval for going live.

Birgitte SB