[Foundation-l] Priorities

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Tue Oct 23 13:00:46 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:

>on 10/23/07 7:44 AM, James Forrester at jdforrester at gmail.com wrote:

>> However, I think it is fair to say that if the toxicity of the English
>> Wikipedia at this point is so great as to impact on the Foundation
>> (e.g. on the Foundation's ability to raise money), then that is
>> definitely a matter for the list.
>>
>> If necessary, the Wikimedia community at large will have to take
>> action to "fix" the English Wikipedia community - but "coup" is such
>> an ugly word. :-)
>>
>Whatever it takes, James ;-). All for the greater good :-).

It isn't just English Wikipedia where there are problems.

Here's one (the excessive block section)
http://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Cynewulf&direction=next
&oldid=2934565

I know I've had my share of times where I've been nasty to some degree.
There are times when it is deliberate and others where grouchiness fits into
it. As you'll see from that link Anthere is already taking an interest in
cases where this is highlighted. Right now I have to excuse myself from an
en.wikinews ArbCom case for scolding one of the parties and trying to
explain certain homophobic postings were inappropriate.

I would hope that the way to approach the issue is with reason, but the
above case shows there are still some who will be "jobsworths" and apply
policy harshly. I know this isn't just admins, some established editors do
the same. I - unfortunately - do not have a solution. I do my bit on
en.wikinews to try and get new contributors and admins to read our
guidelines and not be unduly harsh where an issue requires administrator
intervention. If people aren't wondering "have I done the right thing?" in
some cases then they're not the right person for the job. This is a wiki,
asking "did I say/do the right thing" costs nothing.

I'm all for some of the budget being spent to study the issues; I'm not sure
who you'd want to do it - a psychologist perhaps. I'd volunteer for such a
study, unfortunately the people who are reluctant to change and perhaps part
of the problem would be less likely to participate.

Brian McNeil